Friday, May 11, 2012

Oven-Roasted Spinach

Last week I received a HUGE portion of greens in my CSA box, both spinach and Russian kale. And then there were three big heads of lettuce, the tops on the beets and turnips, etc. I barely touched the spinach when I got another share of veggies that included even MORE spinach.

If only I were dating Popeye...

This is how I like to cook spinach lately. It's soooooooo simple, yet just fabulous!

Big bunches of spinach, well washed and picked through
Garlic cloves, chopped - up to you how many...I'm not dating anyone soooooo...
Olive oil
Sea salt

Turn your oven on to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, toss the spinach with the garlic, a good pinch of sea salt and about 3 Tbs. olive oil. Toss them all really well until the spinach shines a bit from the oil.

Evenly spread the whole mess onto a baking sheet, like a jelly roll pan so the olive oil won't drain out and mess up your oven. Pop the pan in the hot oven and set your timer for 3 to 5 minutes. Depends on how much spinach you're working with. When you take it out, give a good mix, making sure the spinach from the edges of the pan gets moved to the middle and the middle moves out to the sides. Bake for another 3 minutes, or until the outer leaves start to dry out just a little.

It's ready to eat! The depth of flavor and texture or roasted spinach is really wonderful. I want to eat it like this all the time! Great as a side dish for dinner, but also good as a base for poached eggs or a filler for omelets.

No comments:

Post a Comment